Daisypath Ticker

Monday, January 24, 2005

skiing in hiroshima



went skiing in hiroshima this past weekend. we left around midnight and drove about 4 hours and then slept in the car until the ski resort opened at 7. lisa and i went with 3 teachers from my school. they are so goofy, so it was lots of fun. they like to use english like "i am nice guy, he is evil!", and we got to practice japanese too.
we went up the mountain on the ski lift, and it went super high! i was screaming much of the way up because we were going really high and fast, and we must have been going up the mountain for about 10 minutes. the view was so cool because the trees and the mountains were all covered in white. it was like a postcard!
so we went down the first hill, which wasn't too bad. i hadn't skied since jr. year of high school so i forgot everything, including how to stop, which is the most important part i think. so we went down the hill again but this time we took the slope going to the left. we had asked one of the teachers which slope was easier and they said the same so we figured we could handle the left one. wrong! it was going all fine until we realized we couldn't see the rest of the mountain... you know, like how when you're going to go over a waterfall, you can't see the river anymore? so we got closer to the edge and then we could see the rest of the mountain-- it was pretty steep! lisa and i got split up. i was so scared! at one point, i didn't know how i would get down so i sat down on the side and i had such a hard time getting up! then this snowboarder clipped me and sent us rolling down the wrong path! so i had to walk up the hill to get back on the steep mountain. well, long story (looooong story) short, i finally got down (after falling lots of times and rolling down some of it), and then i couldn't find lisa. she was still on the mountain! one of the teachers found her and helped her down and she was all hazukashii. it's ok! i would have been stuck up there too but i just decided to "see what happens" and try and ski my way down, my motivation being that i really had to pee. so that's the only reason i got down myself i think.
we thought that one was hard, but the last mountain was almost muri! it was so steep and everytime we thought we were at the bottom, there was more! it was really like 3 slopes. it took us about an hour to get down! i was trying to go so slow too, but i was totally out of control.
it was a good experience but don't think i'll be skiing ever again (or until i forget how scary it was).
anyhow though, i didn't get stuck forever on the slopes, and i didn't drop my camera on the ski lift so i am able to bring you these pictures. enjoy ;)

2 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Ok I dunno how you guys didnt have fun because that looks so awesome! I wish I could go to that mountian. Actually the slopes dont look too bad. I think some of the stuff that we went down in Nagano were steeper. But I guess you just have to be there. I guess Lisa really is a turtle...

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger nicole said...

Holy Crap Kristen!
Looking at those pictures & reading your story made my hands all sweaty! However, after looking at all that snow it made me miss Colorado & the snowboarding fun I had there...even though I was on my behind more than on my board. :) Maybe next time you should try snowboarding (that is, if there's a next time). I'm glad your camera is safe--the part about dropping your camera from the ski lift scared me too! Wish I could be there to partake in the glorious snow but I guess life in the islands is okay too. Miss ya tons!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home