Daisypath Ticker

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

clarinets and fruits

First, we did a short review on my self-intro from last week. In the student's copy of my self-intro it says "I was in the band and played the _______." and they're supposed to listen to my intro and then fill in the blank. so I asked them "what did I play in the band?" and they reply "fruutsu!". So I said, "no! not fruits!" and I write "flute" on the chalkboard. Below it I write "fruits". So I point to the top one and say "flute". And they repeat after me. And then I point to the bottom one and say "fruits" and they all yell, "onaji! onaji!" which means, "it's the same! It's the same!" so I was like, "NO! it's different!" which was met by more "onaji! onaji!". anyway, this went on and on, with me saying "flute, fruits, flute, fruits", and the whole class insisting that it sounded exactly the same. Well, I guess it's hard when your language doesn’t differentiate between "l" and "r" huh?. you end up saying things like "i like eating lice" and calling the mall "libberwalk" (riverwalk). It was pretty fun though! For the rest of the lesson, I read them an article about the Coney Island hot dog eating contest and asked the students questions. They seemed to like that story because the champion is from japan and no one can beat him. But when I was talking about hot dogs, they were saying "atsui inu"and I said, "no! not animals, food!". yikes these kids. When I got back to the staff room after my second class, they were shaving this boy's head right there! I asked why and they said sometimes when boy's hair gets too long and they refuse to cut it, the teachers will just shave it all off! But in this case, this boy just wanted a free hair cut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home